Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tapping Drill Press Handle

So here is a small adapter I use to get threads started with good perpendicularity on a drill press.  Some may think it is un-necessary, yeah kind of, but it was cheap and easier on my hands.

Basically, what it is, is a pulley clamp that allows me to attach a handle to manually turn the drill press ( I never use the fastest top pulley slot, so nothing lost) .  I use this to start tapping on pieces.  For part Info, see
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:718094

The tap drill chart I usually use:
http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/pearl/Tap_Drill_Chart.html


Ok, so, Step 1: Disconnect Drill, keep un-powered when doing things manually
Step 2: Print off (2) clamps, and bolt to top pulley (1/4" Bolts, about 1" LG, w/ flat washers)

Step 3: Chuck Tap, Clamp Part, and line stuff up.

Step 4: Print off Handle and slip on Pulley Clamps.  Now, use one hand to keep downward force on the drill lever and part.  Use the other hand to manually turn the drill press with the handle on the pulley.


Step 5: Attach a magnet to the handle, so it can just be stuck on the top of the drill press cover.  I leave the Pulley clamp on always when working, but don't leave the handle on.  


I get better threads than when I just tap stuff by hand.  And its easier.

So this works on the:
Machinery 5 Speed Bench Drill Press, Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-Bench-Mount-Drill-Press-5-Speed-60238.html

For other drills, just modify to fit.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment